Cultured green pesto is a perfect addition to different types of pasta, it can also be used in sandwiches. The choices are unlimited. Try out this fermented green pesto, by Vedrana Orlović of Kefirolicious, which was prepared in our Veggie Fermenter.
Ingredients for cultured green pesto
- 75 g (2 2/3 oz) almonds
- 75 g (2 2/3 oz) pumpkin seeds
- 125 ml (½ cup) of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/3 of garlic clove
- 2 tbsp of whey (I used whey from milk kefir cheese)
- handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 3 handfuls of fresh basil leaves
How to make fermented pesto
Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until creamy. Place mixture in the Kefirko jar, cover with lid and pump out any air bubbles with the built-in pump. Cover with a second lid and leave to ferment at room temperature for 1-3 days. When fermentation is complete, refrigerate for up to 5 weeks. You can use cultured green pesto as a spread or combine it with pasta.